Steps to install Windows XP:
- Install XP itself.
- Run Windows Update. I want to secure this system quickly to avoid attack, so let’s initially go with the critical updates. What? There are 91 of them?
- Done installing. Have to reboot.
- Run Windows Update again. This time, get the recommended updates as well as any critical ones. Down to 15 of them.
- Done installing. Have to reboot again.
- Run Windows Update again. 10 updates this time.
- Done installing. Have to reboot, for the third time!
- Run Windows Update again. 1 update this time.
- Done installing. Thank God, I don’t have to reboot for this one.
- Download and install anti-virus software. Run it.
- Download and install anti-spyware software. Run it.
Um. How long have Windows users been putting up with this? I see Apple just issued a security update. It says, “Previous security updates have been incorporated into this security update.” Fancy that.