Well, it’s finally happened: a nasty vulnerability in Mac OS X has been discovered. So far there are no real cases “in the wild” but that won’t last. Some reports call it a Safari weakness but that’s not it at all.
Until Apple releases an update to fix the problem, here’s what to do:
- Go into the Utilities folder (which you can find in the Applications folder).
- Rename Terminal. On my machines I just added an ‘a’ to make it Terminala.
On a related note, make sure you are applying security updates regularly:
- Open your System Preferences. (You can find it in the Apple menu if your system is not ancient.)
- Select Software Update.
- In the ‘Update Software’ tab, make sure you are checking for updates weekly or daily.
- Push the ‘Check Now’ button to go ahead and do it now.
Let’s be careful out there.