You know how, if you have a chance for last words to someone, you try to communicate the most important things? For his final Sunday, our pastor did not preach a sermon. Instead, he simply read the following list aloud, without elaboration:
“My last words as pastor”
- Be humble.
- Learn to pray.
- Talk less and listen more.
- Make a place for silence and solitude in your life.
- Deny yourself.
- Beware of your culture.
- Always err on the side of grace with people.
- Love God’s word.
- Love the church.
- Always do the right thing even if no one finds out or no one appreciates it.
- Be on the lookout for self-righteousness in your heart, because self-righteousness can disguise itself as righteousness.
- Remember, your Christianity and your relationship with God is something intended to be enjoyed.
- Remember, there is always more of God to be experienced.